Red wine is a popular choice of beverage that most prefer during ordinary meals or even during special celebratory occasions. The calorie content in red wine is largely dependent on the amount that is consumed everyday.
One glass of red wine daily is also recommended by doctors as it is stated to be good for the heart due to the presence of antioxidants. The calorie content is not very high which is why even diet experts also condone the consumption of red wine in limited amounts. There are different kinds of red wine and thus, the calories differ accordingly.
- On an average, one glass of red wine contains 125 calories. An average glass of wine contains about 4 ounces which means one ounce of red wine contains approximately 30 calories.
- The highest calorie content is found in Zinfandel red which contains 129 calories.
- The lowest calorie content, which is about 109 calories, is found in Carignan red wine.
- The amount of calories is also dependent on the alcohol content in the red wine. Those with higher alcohol content will have higher calories and vice versa.
- It is always advisable to limit red wine consumption to one or two glasses a day.