Different varieties of Lentils are available in the market and each of these varieties may be prepared using different recipes. The calorie content in different varieties/ preparations of lentils is different. The information about calorie content in a few popular lentil varieties and preparations is given in detail in this article.
Each cup of lentils contains a total of 678 calories out of which 68% of the calories are obtained from carbohydrates, 29% calories come from proteins and the remaining 3% calories are obtained from fat. The total fat content in it is 2.04 grams, protein content in it is 49.54 grams and carbohydrate content in it is 115.35 grams. One tablespoon of lentils contains 42 calories, one oz contains 100 calories and 100 grams contains a total of 353 calories.
Cooked lentils contain comparatively lesser number of calories. One cup of cooked lentils contains 323 calories. Out of these 323 calories 44% of the calories come from carbohydrates, 36% of the calories come from fat and the remaining 20% calories come from proteins. 100 grams of cooked lentils contain 165 calories and one oz contains 130 calories.
Sprouted lentils are considered more nutritious and the calorie content in this lentil preparation is also fairly less. One cup of sprouted lentils contains 82 calories of which 75% of the calories come from carbohydrates, 21% of the calories come from proteins and the remaining 4% calories are obtained from fat.
Though not very tasteful, steamed lentils are also well liked mainly, because the calorie content in it is lower than many other lentil preparations. Half a cup serving of steamed lentils available from Trader Joe’s contains a total of 120 calories out of which 69% of the calories are obtained from carbohydrates and the remaining 31% calories come from proteins. None of the calories in it are obtained from fat.