How Many Calories in a Watermelon

Watermelon, which is considered to be a healthy food, has very low calorie content. 1 cup (approximately 154 grams) of watermelon has around 46 calories. It also has a very low cholesterol and sodium content. This is the reason why it is one of the most favourite fruits especially during the summers. It gives a sweet cooling effect and the large water content in it helps in satisfying your appetite.

Watermelon also has a very low fat content – just 2 grams. Out of which 0.1 gram is Polyunsaturated Fat and the remaining 0.1 gram is Monounsaturated Fat. The saturated fat content is nil in Watermelon. This is another reason why Watermelon is considered a healthy food option. Apart from this 1 cup of Watermelon has around 11.6 grams of carbohydrates, which amounts to around 4% of the total Watermelon. It has around 0.6 grams of Dietary Fiber and 9.5 grams of Sugar.

Watermelon Calories

Watermelon is also known to be a good source of Zinc, Phosphorus, Manganese, Magnesium and Vitamins. A Watermelon has around 18% Vitamin A content and 21% Vitamin C content. Around two cups of Watermelon satisfies around half of your Vitamin C needs and also provides around a quarter of beta carotene which is consumed by the body to prepare Vitamin A. Beta C is very essential for the body; it helps in fighting against viral infections and strengthens the eye sight.

Small contents of Calcium, Iron and Proteins are also present in a Watermelon making it a great nutritional food. Each portion of Watermelon is edible; this includes even the rinds and seeds. Around 92% of watermelon consists of water and the remaining 8% is Lycopene. Lycopene helps in protecting the heart, skin and prostate. Watermelon also lowers the risk of different kinds of cancers including ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, cervical cancer, pharyngeal cancer and oral cancer.