Two units of energy makes up for one calorie. Every food item contains a fixed number of calories and these calories determine the energy which can be obtained by eating that particular food item. Every person’s body has fixed calorie requirements, going below which is usually not recommended but at the same time, intake of high amount of calories can also be prove to be unhealthy. Here’s a guide to the most common food items which are consumed by each one of us on a usual basis and their calorie content.
- As far as fruits are concerned, one medium sized apple contains 80 calories while a medium sized banana contains 101 calories.1 medium sized orange has got 77 calories, lemon has 30 calories, one piece of grape has just 2 calories and 1 cup of strawberries contain 278 calories. As far as watermelons are concerned, 1 cup of watermelons contains 45 calories whereas one avocado has a whopping 380 calories.
- Coming to vegetables, 1 artichoke has got 67 calories, 1 cup of cooked broccoli contains 40 calories, 1 cup of raw cabbage has 17 calories while one cucumber has got 30 calories. 1 clove of garlic contains 4 calories and 1 cup of chopped mushrooms contains only 20 calories. 1 boiled medium sized potato contains 88 calories and 1 raw tomato has got 26 calories in total.
- Dairy and egg products also fall under the category of commonly consumed food items and it is important to know which product has how many calories.1 oz of feta cheese has got 75 calories, 1 tablespoon of regular butter contains 100 calories, 1 oz of American cheese has 106 calories, 1 cup of buttermilk has got 99 calories whereas 1 large egg contains 79 calories.
- Coming to the other common food items, 1 slice of bacon has 36 calories, 1 slice of beef has 89 calories, 1 cup of pork and beans have 311 calories and 4 oz of canned ham contains 164 calories.
- One plain bagel contains 150 calories, 1 blueberry muffin has got 112 calories, one hot dog bun has got 119 calories and one croissant has got 200 calories in total.
- A cup of mayonnaise has got a whopping 1577 calories while a can of chicken noodle soup contains 150 calories. Italian cheese lasagna contains 300 calories whereas 1 tablespoon of sugar has got 46 calories.