Cooking is an art. Over the centuries, civilizations and countries have created various cooking methods to make food delicious and healthy. However, over the years the health quotient of cooking has taken a back seat as fast foods have become immensely popular. Fast foods are low in healthy nutrients as the processes used to make fast foods kill the nutritional value of the ingredients. But cooking healthy food should not be too difficult if you know easy ways to make your job less time consuming and at the same time preserve the nutritional value of the food. Here are some easy and healthy ways to cook food:
- Steaming: Most vegetables can be cooked by steaming it. It is the best way to cook fish and preserve its nutrients and flavour. The various ways in which steaming can be done are in a perforated basket with a lid sitting on a pot of boiling water, fish wrapped in foil and immersed in boiling water, or cooking in a pressure cooker.
- Sautéing: Sauté is a French term meaning “to jump”. When chopped vegetables are put into a lightly oiled frying pan, the pieces begin to jump in it. This is a nice way to retain the vitamins in the vegetable while enhancing the taste with a little dash of oil. It is also a good way to help the veggies cook and yet retain a crunchy texture. Sautéing does not take too much time and is an easy way of cooking healthy.
- Roasting: This is a great option for healthy cooking as it makes food very delicious with little or no use of oil. Rich flavours of vegetables and meat can be retained along with the nutrition in them. The ingredient to be roasted are brushed with a little fat like oil or butter, and then put inside an oven for roasting at high temperature for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir frying: Similar to sautéing this method makes use of a thick bottom wok and cooking is done in very high temperatures. It is precisely for this reason that the vegetables have to be stirred regularly to prevent them from burning. Stir frying method of healthy cooking can be used to prepare vegetable that go as accompaniment to steaks.
- Grilling: If you are outdoors on a nice sunny afternoon, or a cool clear night, grilling veggies, corn cobs, cottage cheese chunks or meats pieces on a barbeque can be a great way to enjoy cooking and make the food healthy and tasty simultaneously.
Photo Credit By: shape.com